Friday, October 5, 2012

Everything in Moderation

Ok so the marathon is just a little over a week away, and I've admitted that I've allowed myself to drink again here and there. I don't want anybody to lose faith in me, because I am still fully committed to training and doing my best every day until race day.

I think I've learned something important about moderation over the past few weeks. Before I embarked on this challenge, I was the type of person who when I went out - I went all out. I would dance all night and completely let go and not pay any mind to how it would affect me the following day. Now, it's one thing to say "I'm going to train for a marathon and completely change my lifestyle in order to do so" (which is super challenging, of course) and another to try to incorporate a marathon training into your existing life, it's hard to find middle ground, or at least it is for me. Obviously changes are going to occur naturally e.g. not running often at all to running nearly every day. But in the last week or so I've reverted back to some of my old habits while still maintaining my new ones, and I think that's a valuable lesson. For example, last night I went out with a couple girlfriends. We went to 3 different bars, and had 3 different drinks. After drink number 2 (delicious margarita from Reposado) I was ready to completely give in and go for a honking plate of the city's dirtiest nachos at Sneaky Dee's. Then something clicked in my head and my mind just changed. It was nearly midnight, I knew I wanted to run today, and that I would regret the nachos IMMENSELY. So I put on my adult pants and after our 3rd drink (Blanche De Chambly at Crooked Star), I sent myself home.

I woke up this morning at 730am, put on all my running clothes before leaving my bedroom, snapped a quick photo for y'all, and promptly left. I did not have a hangover that would last me two days. I didn't even have a headache. You know what I had instead? PRIDE. You don't have to take anything for pride, and you don't have to stay in bed all day and eat Thai food for pride. You know why? Cause it's awesome. Here is your picture.
p.s. I'm blonde now

I ran 3.5k straight to the gym, no breaks, and jumped on the treadmill as soon as I got there. Ran another 20 minutes (10 on the steepest incline) and proceeded to do a pretty intense triceps and biceps work out. I've been feeling great all day and it's because I was able to do something that I haven't been able to do before - find a real balance.

While it is often fun and exciting to take things as far as they can go, in many ways moderation can be really important. This also ties into running - moderation and pacing yourself are very similar ideas after all. Going all out doesn't have to mean burning yourself out, and slowing down doesn't mean giving up.

In other news the almond (and soy) milk brand "Silk" has released a dark chocolate flavor. Its fantastic. You should try it.

Much love!

2 comments:

  1. wowza....."Somewhere in my life, I must have done something good..." (The Sound of Music)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You both did and are doing...thanks Amanda for the silk tip!

    ReplyDelete